Hank Elmore and Family Get Nursing’s Building Campaign Off To A Solid Start
Georgilee “Hank” Elmore has been a well known citizen of Dothan, Alabama for more than five decades. It is where she and the late Stanhope Elmore, who owned Dothan Coca-Cola Bottling Company, moved in 1954 and raised their two daughters, Katie and Jane. Both daughters graduated from The University of Alabama with degrees in Education.
So why would the mother of two College of Education graduates make such a significant gift to the University of Alabama Nursing Building Fund? Hank Elmore is a nurse. She joined the Army in 1943 and went to nursing school in Fort Myers, Virginia. After graduating and receiving her commission, she was stationed at Buckingham Army Airfield in Fort Meyers, Florida where she specialized in obstetrics and gynecology. Completing her tour of duty, she moved to Oklahoma City in 1946 and married Stanhope later that year. The couple moved to Dothan in 1954.
Although neither attended The University of Alabama, both developed a huge love for the University and could be found most fall Saturdays in their regular seats at Bryant-Denny Stadium.
When Dean Sara Barger asked the Elmore family to consider a gift for the new nursing building, they responded with enthusiasm. Mrs. Elmore asked her daughters Katie Wolverton, now of Orlando, Florida and Jane Mickle, now of Huntington Beach, California to help. Their gift of $1 million enabled the family to combine their love for The University of Alabama with Hank’s passion for nursing.
According to Dean Barger, the Elmore family’s gift is a wonderful new beginning for nursing at The University of Alabama. “We are honored that the first floor and lobby will carry the Elmore name,” she said. “It will be a point of personal privilege for me to walk into that building every day and know that the Elmore family helped us get there.”
Building for the Future
The Capstone College of Nursing's vision is to build a 60,000 square foot, state-of-the-art facility to house the College, the first facility on campus designed specifically for the education of nurses. Over the past several years faculty and staff have worked closely with the architect to design a functional building that is both efficient in its use of space and effective in educating nurses for tomorrow's health care delivery systems.
The preliminary design for the new building includes a first floor auditorium, classrooms, student lounge/study center, and offices for student services. The second floor will have classrooms, computer lab, the learning resource center, a clinical practice lab, and human simulation center. The third floor will house the research department as well as administrative and faculty offices.